OMG! This night has been crazy. Dean and the girls ate a bunch of oysters out of a jar he bought at an asian market. If I'd known I would have stopped it. Turns out the oysters were RAW, in a jar with no preservatives or anything. Dean thought it would be fine, cause, you know, people eat raw oysters.
Ave ate half of one, Vi ate two and Dean had a bunch. Anyhow, I made both the girls drink a huge glass of water, stick their fingers down their throats and vomit. Rinse. Repeat. It was a barf-fest. Barfatorium. They were both troopers about it.
I majored in microbiology so I know that you can get Vibrio or even Noro from raw oysters and just what we need are a couple of kids going to the hospital with sepsis from eating a vibrio-laced oyster.
Gave them an absolute ton of water after and then had them take fiber and probiotics. Hopefully, this will clear their system and if they end up with food poisoning, maybe it won't be as bad. Vibrio is a bad bug, though, and those who get sick from it... well, there's a 40% mortality. That is HIGH.
Please say a little prayer for us that they won't get infected. Dean also got the treatment, but he's got the stomach of steel. Our kids do not, however.
I am so glad I can't even eat shellfish.
Don't eat raw oysters! They can kill you! Soaking them in lime juice or hot sauce will not kill the bacteria they might contain(seriously, some people think that is the case)